Preparing fresh veggies may seem daunting.
This could be due to a lack of experience on your part with particular vegetables, or a lack of desire by folks in your house to consume vegetables in the first place. The goal of this post is to put a few simple tips into your hand to boost both your experience and desire in offering home cooked veggies for you and the whole family.
Tools of the Trade
There are few key tools you need to adequately prep veggies for your restaurant quality meals:
- Pairing Knife
- Stainless steel frying pan
- Chef Knife
- Cutting board
You can get all of these items for less than a $100 dollars combined. Sure, you can go to high stores and pay hundreds of dollars for knives but at some point you are just paying for a name.
Techniques of the Trade
- Clean veggies in cool water
- Cut veggies in consistent sizes
- Peel veggies with skins (if you want)
Consistent size of your cuts is essential to cooking food evenly. The cooking piece does not matter without taking a few minutes to wash and remove in bad spots in your veggies with your pairing knife. When cutting always use a sharp knife and cut in a motion down and away from you. Take your time as there is no rush.
An Example: Pan Seared Zucchini, Yellow Squash, and Yellow Onion
- A whole zucchini
- A whole yellow squash
- A whole yellow onion
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Wash the zucchini and yellow squash.
- Cut zucchini and squash into even slices.
- Cut off ends of onion and peel off outer layers.
- Cut onion in half and cut into even slices
- In your stainless steel pan, heat olive oil until you can put a drop of water in it and it will sizzle.
- Toss your three veggies with a tablespoon of minced garlic, and cook in your hot pan for 5-7 minutes-constantly stirring.
- Remove from heat and add salt to taste.
These guys will keep for another day and add great color to your meal. The same techniques used here can be applied to several veggie dishes. Happy cooking!
Just 4 You Meals is a local meal prep company servicing Kernersville, Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem areas. We provide fresh, never frozen, chef prepared meals made for you each week. Right now we have an offer of 50% off your first order when you enter the code “THANKYOU” at check out-only for a limited time.
Look us up at www.just4youmealplans.com to see our meals and other helpful content.
Yes we deliver!
The Just 4 You Meal Time
Rock your food!